Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Now What Exactly Is Going On Here?



I had to take a semi-emergency unscheduled Recovery Day. I didn't get much sleep last night due to leg cramps. They actually started as I was laying in bed trying to fall asleep. I woke up this morning at the proper time with my right leg throbbing again. It seems every good effort day is followed by a partial breakdown anymore. This is beginning to get worrisome.

This is my dilemma. When I was in my thirties, I ran hard! There were races where I thought to myself, I'm either going to PR this race or I'm going to pass out on the course and I always finished well. I could count on my body to respond. But now, at near sixty years old, if I put myself in that same position, my body screams for a day off. The worst part is I don't know what to do about this. I could train every day very easily, that would still be healthful, but you don't get in shape to race that way.

I am at a crossroads. Either I am a racer with goals and ambitions, or I am a recreational athlete who dabbles in the sport. I don't want to be a dabbler. My body wants to be a dabbler. But I have goals for the year of 2011, the year I turn 60. I'll hit it  again hard tomorrow and I'll be fine. The question is.....what will Friday hold?

No comments:

Post a Comment