Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Old Man Winter





I drove through an ungodly ice storm to get to the gym and run my 4 miles. I had to warm up my car for 15 minutes just to get my wipers unthawed. I drove all the way peeking through a small keyhole ice window on my windshield. I know I know, not supposed to do that but I would have turned sixty before it cleared by itself. I had to bounce off the little woman's car door a half a dozen times to finally break the ice seal around her little coupe so she could get to work.

Two things. I forgot how boring the treadmill is. Really. I've been running outside before Armageddon hit last night and that always goes fast. There is nothing to look at but the TV which is ALWAYS set on the weather channel, or watch the tenths of miles go slowly by on the mileage counter. I had the place to myself as you might imagine. I, at least, was able to work out without people wanting to chat. I don't know how the little woman who opens the place gets to work at 5:30 am. I'm driving an all-wheel drive Subaru and I went fine. She must be on a snowmobile.

Second, it's surprising how short 4 miles feels now. After getting outside for my long runs, a 4 miler seems pedestrian. That's a good thing. Now, I just have to decide if I want to just run for the glory of running, or if I want to actually compete. Do I want to just finish a half marathon or do I want to set a firm time goal and train like hell to get there. Just the fact that at this stage I have to ask myself this question is scary. I should know this answer by now. By march 1st, I'm gonna figure this out and make a decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment