Sunday, February 27, 2011

Into Thin Air



I wanted to rest my injured leg so I decide to hike a very mountainous loop up 250 hill to the turnoff to Grandview Park and then down the very steep slope to home. It is a treacherous distance of what turned out to be 6 miles of nearly 3000 feet of climbing and decent. It was cold (about 35* and colder on the hill) and very tough. I ran in basketball shoes. Basketball shoes you say? Yes indeed. I thought they would give my sore ankle more support, and maybe more importantly, make me resist the urge to run. Instead, I ended up running about half the course on sore legs and a bad ankle, wearing the basketball shoes (very heavy) and carrying my running belt with the big water bottle. Absolutely no doubt...it would have been easier to have just run my scheduled 8 miler out the creek. Live and learn.

Two things to mention about this run:
* My running belt is great. I didn't need the GU but the water was great. It was very dry up there.
** There is not really a good picture to take along this route, at least in the winter. The trees are rickety branches  that look like cadaver bones. The sky was a very ugly gray and the scenery was a cinder covered snow pile littered with trash and empty beer cans. Sorry about the visual. Better to hear about it than to have to run past it. I feel great that I went though. My ankle is sore but not terribly and I feel like I accomplished something. A nice start to the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment