Thursday, April 21, 2011

My New Garmin



OK. I ran 5 miles in 55 mins. but that isn't the good (or bad) part. I wore my new Garmin Forerunner 305 for the first time and I discovered something. I'm not quite the slow slug I thought I was. To explain, I have run the same 5 mile (GPS measured) course for years! And I could never break 50 to 55 minutes. It pissed me off and made me feel slow. Today, for the first time, I wore my Garmin and could see my "real time" pace. It turns out that once I get past the road construction, past the grocery store, around the traffic snarl and through the school drop-off, that when the road opens up.....I'm running a 9 min. mile pace like I'm strolling to the frig for a beer.

Do you know how happy that makes me? On an open course, with traffic control, DURING MY HALF MARATHON! (ha!) if I can run through a 9 min. pace, I can beat my goal of two hours for the 13.1! I am so happy. I never got that before because I never saw how much time is wasted waiting for traffic, watching for cars and running around bulldozers. I can't begin to tell you how great a run that 5 miler was or how great I feel. I hope every one of my friends here (all of you) had a day like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment